Oct 09 2014
TOPEKA, Kan. – Under fire for refusing to give straight answers to Kansas voters on key issues and facing growing questions about his business record, which includes partnerships with a convicted Wall Street felon and a company that defaulted on $250 million in loans, liberal Democrat Greg Orman is clearly trying to duck and dodge until election day. As CNN’s Dana Bash reported yesterday:
- “Perhaps the biggest news was that Orman was even here at a scheduled public event. He hasn’t had many lately. Instead he tweets after-the-fact photos of his campaign stops without press there to ask him questions."
But liberal Greg Orman isn't ducking everyone.
The Washington Examiner reports this afternoon that just days before the November election, Orman will be in tony Cambridge, Massachusetts to raise money with a former liberal Democratic Congressman who was run out of Washington after bouncing 127 checks in the infamous House bank scandal. As the Examiner reports:
- He’s belittled Washington’s ways during his campaign to beat long-serving Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts, but independent Greg Orman will look like a card-carrying member of the club when he travels to Boston this month for a fundraiser hosted by a former congressman run out of town for bouncing checks.
The Examiner further reports that Orman will also be feted by other top Democratic donors from Massachusetts, including one who was recently appointed by President Obama to a key Administration post.
If you are reporting on this latest development, please consider the following quote from the Roberts for Senate campaign:
- "This is just the latest example of Democrat Greg Orman saying one thing to voters in Kansas and then getting caught doing the exact opposite in private. Greg Orman needs to explain to Kansas voters why on the one hand he attacks Washington and with the other raises money from a liberal Democrat Congressman who was run out of office for abusing the public trust. If there was any remaining doubt that a vote for Orman is a vote for the Obama agenda, just look at the company he's keeping while hiding from the press in Massachusetts this month." -- Corry Bliss, Campaign Manager
Background: Meet Greg Orman’s Massachusetts’ Financial Backers
Former Congressman Chet Atkins:
- Atkins is a prolific Democratic donor, contributing more than $200,000 to federal-level Democratic candidates, including Barack Obama, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Dick Durbin, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, John Kerry, and Chuck Schumer. No donations to Republicans. (Federal Election Commission, Contribution Database)
- Atkins was a Democratic member of Congress from 1985-1993. His career ended after it was revealed that he bounced 127 checks. U.S. Rep. Chester G. Atkins is struggling to hang on against an aggressive Democratic foe, while a businessman slugs it out with an old pol for the GOP nomination in the 5th Congressional District. Atkins (D-Concord), seeking re-election to a fifth term, is facing the toughest political campaign of his career as opponent Martin T. Meehan hammers him for his abuse of congressional perks… Damaged by revelations that he bounced 127 checks at the House bank, Atkins, 44, is airing radio ads in the final days admitting he's "not perfect.".. Meehan raps Atkins for taking special-interest money, abusing taxpayer-funded congressional mail, trying to cut the Merrimack Valley out of the district and voting himself a pay raise. (Boston Herald, September 13, 1992)
- Glovsky is a prolific Democratic donor, having contributed more than $300,000 to federal-level Democratic candidates and parties, including Barack Obama (and the Obama Victory Fund 2012), John Kerry, Joe Biden, John Edwards, Gary Peters, Maria Cantwell, Tim Kaine, Kirsten Gillibrand, Elizabeth Warren, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Patrick Leahy, Robert Menendez, Sheldon Whitehouse, Charles Schmuer, the DNC, and the DSCC.
- In 2014, President Obama appointed Glovsky to the President’s Advisory Council on Financial Capability for Young Americans, a “key Administration post,” according to the White House press release. (White House, Press Release, March 11, 2014)
- A former Clinton Administration official, Stern has donated nearly $90,000 to federal-level Democrat candidates since 2008, including Barack Obama, Jeff Merkley, Gary Peters, Dick Durbin, Elizabeth Warren, Bruce Braley, and the DCCC. No donations to Republicans. (Federal Election Commission, Contribution Database)